Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Your Secondary Library Staff
Ms. Mak, Ms. Wong, Mr. Anderson, & Ms. Che
The students, faculty, and CIS community at-large have a full range of materials and services within easy grasp. Our space is more than a repository for information. We focus our energy on the unique needs of our learning community, no matter what form that may take. While one can certainly find a fantastic dual-language collection of fiction and nonfiction materials, we support the needs of whomever walks through our doors. Whether you visit us in person or you take advantage of our services via this LibGuide, we are confident you will find what you need at the CIS Secondary Library.
Join us @cishklibrary
Given the uncertainty of open/closed campus and blended learning, we have to be flexible about how our library can best support the school in any of the varying circumstances.
Rely on us! No matter where you might be, we are still here and prepared to serve you!
Resources and Services
Library Grab & Go Program When our campus is closed, we still wish to get books into the hands of readers. The Grab & Go Program does that. For now, please stay tuned.... It all depends on the status of campus restrictions.
Escape with a Podcast Top podcast recommendations from students and teachers.
Resources for Wellbeing Find something that sparks movement and boosts your mood.
Working Healthy from Home Specifically for faculty and staff, but everyone can benefit.
Online Learning Support
Reading Find suggestions, lists, and brief reviews about what might be a next great read!
OverDrive Ebooks and Audiobooks Given the uncertain situation with campus closures, opportunities to visit the library may be limited. OverDrive provides excellent alternative. Don't see what you want? Request titles on our OverDrive Request form.
Online Research Databases These databases provide rich, balanced, and accurate resources 24/7. Refer to these passwords when accessing databases from outside of campus.
Consultation and Contact
You can email questions from the convenience of your home! This service is staffed by our team during normal business hours; we will do our best to reply within 24 hours.
Mr. Sam Anderson focuses on English language materials and literacy, information literacy, research support, and overall resource guidance.
Ms. Phoebe Wong focuses on Chinese language materials and literacy, and overall resource guidance.
Ms. Alice Mak and Ms. Wing Che support materials circulation, cataloguing, and overdue, lost, or missing materials.
Conduct a basic search of materials in this window. For more extensive searches, you can log in to your Destiny account by using your school username and password.
Policies and Privileges
It is your responsibility to bring your school ID card each day.
Students, you must use your school ID cards for access to all services provided in the Library. All items to check out include print materials and equipment such as E-readers; you must have your ID to do so. You can also use your student ID card for photocopying and printing.
Beyond that simple statement, it gets even easier:
- Respect your Library space
- Respect other students in your Library
- Respect everything and everyone in your Library
Secondary Checkout Limits
We encourage--and expect--secondary students to choose and manage their reading. This policy is firm.
Year 7-9 Students
- Up to 6 items per student
- Up to 2 OverDrive titles per student
Year 10-13 Students
- Up to 10 items per student
- Up to 2 OverDrive titles per student
Primary Students (Y4-Y6)
- 2 print items per student
- Must be arranged through Primary Librarians
We invite you to enjoy the Secondary Library, so please do visit us. To browse, ask questions, seek guidance to support your child's reading, or simply to learn about our space is something we hope you do.
The ideal time to visit the Secondary Library is after school hours between 3:00-4:30. We reserve the school hours (7:30-3:00) for student and teacher use. The library is a classroom, so your understanding is appreciated.
Because this is a teaching and learning space, we ask that you follow the same, simple expectations we have for the students. When visiting the library, please model and support these standards. It is helpful for students to see.
- Please wear your Parent ID badge prominently; we need to know who you are.
- Please engage in a book, magazine, newspaper, or browse our collection.
- You are also invited to chat with the librarians seeking insight or support for your children.
- Please take care of all phone communication needs (calls and texts) before entering.
- Turn off and tuck away your devices.
- Please enjoy your coffee and snacks in the Cafeteria or at the Rooftop Café, not in the Library.
- Parents who are with their Primary students are asked to use the Primary Library.
- If you are simply waiting for your child to finish classes or CCAs or need a place to socialize, we ask that you do so at the Rooftop Café or in the Cafeteria.
- 1 Chinese print item per parent
- 1 English print item per parent
- Parents may not check out items in their child's name
- We expect the students to learn how to manage and maintain their reading as they grow older.
|Books (print & digital)
|Magazines and Journals
|Audio-Visual (Audiobooks, DVDs, etc.)
*Rather than charging fees for most overdue materials, we ask that you return or renew items. You will not be allowed to check out any additional items if you owe a fine or have anything overdue. The rule of thumb: if you expect to check something out, take care of your obligations.
**If a missing or damaged item is part of a set and we are not able to replace the missing portion, then you need to pay for the replacement of the entire set, which means the cost may be significantly higher. This applies to both books and AV materials.